WHAT’S YOUR THIRD PLACE?
At Cornerstone Church, Christ-followers are taught and encouraged to contribute to the needs of others by giving of their time, energy and resources. We naturally enjoy meeting the needs within our church and connection groups. But as God’s people, we are also called to bring the good news of the Gospel through proclamation and demonstration by going outside our church walls and relationships to serve people the rest of society tends to overlook, marginalize or even oppress…the poor, the vulnerable and the powerless. The “poverty-impacted.”
If you are new to Third Place, consider starting to volunteer in one of the areas below.
- Public Schools Serve at-risk families through volunteering, mentoring, and providing for material needs.
- Home for Awhile Support families in this transitional housing ministry by mentoring tenants or by helping clean, maintain or furnish the apartments.
- Overflow Thrift Store Volunteer your time by sorting and stocking, or by picking up and receiving, items to be sold at the thrift store.
- Food at First Put food into the hand of families who need it through serving at the free market or the daily meal.
- Adoption Support families who have adopted or explore adoption as an option for your own family.
- Foster Care Support families who offer foster care or learn how to become a licensed foster care provider yourself.
Each of the above areas has an Interchange interest group you can join to receive information and updates on how to serve within that Third Place. Joining the Interchange group does not commit you to the opportunity, but will keep you informed on serving opportunities. Plus, you can leave the group at any time if you no longer want to receive email updates.
Services for Members
We also provide services for Cornerstone members in their areas of need. These services include finding housing, auto repair, adoption scholarships, and support groups for foster, adoptive, and Rosebud families. Learn more about R&G services available to Cornerstone members.
Resources for Third Place
- Watch the Poverty 101 Mini-Conference for foundational teaching on working with impoverished.
- Read What Every Church Member Should Know About Poverty by Ruby Payne
- When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty and Suffering without Hurting the Poor…And Yourself by Steve Corbert and Brian Fikkert.